The instant I stepped off the plane, I knew there was something very special about Marrakech. Six years, and almost a dozen or so weddings and celebrations later, I’m still amazed at the effects the red city has on the senses. Where it’s perfectly normal for a family of five on a donkey and carriage to be trotting along the street next to the latest chauffeur driven Range Rover.
You’ll need to plan a trip for yourself, but in the meantime, here are a few of my favourite places.
Home away from home
- Your own private Riad at Royal Mansour
- The Mandarin Oriental Marrakech – I love the Mandarin Pool Villas!
- El Fenn, a stylish Riad in the heart of the Medina
- Live like a royal at La Mamounia
- Moroccan hospitality at Jnane Tamsna by owner Meryanne Loum-Martin
- Venture outside the city to the Atlas Mountains and Kasbah Tamadot.
- Chabi Chic for Moroccan made lifestyle essentials.
- One of my faves is 33 Rue Majorelle.
- If you’re not staying at El Fenn, pop in and visit their Boutique.
- Get lost in the Souks of the Medina.
- Satisfy your bag obsession at Boutique Lalla.
- Visit le Magasin General Marrakech for those rare finds.
Worth the experience
- You’ll go instagram crazy at the Jardin Majorelle – be sure to visit their Berber museum.
- The Yves Saint-Laurent Museum is a must!
- Rejuvenate at the Chenot Spa at Selman Marrakech
- Le Jardin Secret really is the city’s best kept secret
- Experience a desert sunrise from a hot air balloon!
Eat, drink, and be merry
- While exploring the Souks, break for lunch at Terrace Des Epices.
- Sip a Moroccan ‘vin gris’ (Rosé wine) poolside at La Mamounia
- Happy hour on the El Fenn rooftop terrace – they make the BEST cosmopolitans!
- Dine on Moroccan cuisine at Comptoir Darna. Oh, and the belly dancers are fantastic!
- I feel most at home at Bo & Zin – love the food, love the atmosphere, and love the music.